- The 'Team in Training' jerseys start surfacing. The TnT people are great and they're working for a good cause(fundraising for cancer research), but their logo should be changed to say 'HI I'M A N00B' or 'WATCH OUT, I SWERVE'. If you're not a TnT coach, you're probably a newcomer to the sport. They're the tri equivalent of "New Year's Resolutionists" at the gym. Good for them for improving themselves and raising money for a good cause, but Sweet Jesus Stay To The Right.
- Tan lines. During the summer, I look like I'm wearing a pair of white bike shorts when I'm naked. Calm down ladies; I know the image of a pasty ass really gets you going, but I'm taken.
- The barely-there bike shorts. A note to any prospective triathletes: bike shorts don't last forever, they get thinner over time. At a certain point, they get translucent bordering on transparent. The problem is that the transparent part is on your butt; so unless you preen in the mirror, bent over staring at your butt in the shorts, you're not going to know unless somebody else tells you. This happens mostly in the beginning & end of the season when people are either dusting off a pair from last season or using shorts they've been using too long at the end of the season. When you combine that with #2, that's a lot of glowing gluteus maximus in a group ride. When in doubt, replace the shorts. You don't want to see my pasty butt anymore than I want to see yours...unless you're a hot woman. In that case, please never change out your cycling shorts. Sincerely, All Male Triathletes
- The Jammers. Listen, I don't mind if people listen to music when they train. I do it too. But I never blare the music so loudly that I can't hear somebody screaming "ON YOUR LEFT" when they're passing you on the road/trail/sidewalk. That's just for running; the people that wear headphones in both ears on open roads when cycling are just asking to be somebody's hood ornament. I only put on headphones when I'm on a closed path(i.e. not on a path with vehicles) and even then I put it on low and only in my right ear. That way I can hear anyone coming up behind me, whether they announce themselves or not. Everybody needs motivational music, but The Jammers only motivate me to go on a psychotic rampage against all iPods.
- The Piranha. These guys - and let's face it, 90% of them ARE guys - are the speed demons. They go 20+ mph, they ride in packs, and they're on a mission to train no matter who is in their way. These guys will fly by you without so much as a whisper. They've got the right to the road/path as much as anyone else, but you have to keep an eye out for them or they'll scare the unholy sh*t out of you.
02/24 - 03/02 Totals:
Bike: 32.58 Mi - 2h 03m 18s
Swim: 2000.00 Yd -35m 15s
Run: 6.00 Mi - 1h 00m 51s
Feb 2008 Totals:
Bike: 79.31 Mi - 5h 20m 52s
Swim: 6230 Yd - 3h 07m 13s
Run: 36.86 Mi - 6h 46m 21s
2008 Totals through 03/02/2008:
Bike: 130.12 Mi - 8h 33m 09s
Run: 63.97 Mi - 11h 18m 27s
Swim: 16230 Yd - 6h 35m 22s